Hi,

Sunday, March 6, 2005, 12:42:35 AM, Amita wrote:

> It's time for me to buy a new monitor, and I'd like to get an LCD. Obviously
> I am concerned about viewing and editing photos  on an LCD monitor. Do any
> of you have an LCD monitor that you can recommend for photography? Most
> hardware review sites don't seem to be too concerned with color fidelity and
> other such concerns.

I have a Dell Precision M50 laptop, which was pitched at the
professional CAD market. It has a 15", 1600x1200 resolution, 64Mb
Quadro 4 500 GoGL something. I don't know what it means, but it's very
good and perfectly suitable for my purposes. It's not a separate
screen, but there are sure to be better ones available separately
nowadays - this is about 3 years old.

Undoubtedly you could get a CRT which is better suited to photography,
but the top end professional monitors are really expensive, and large,
and that level of investment really means you need properly equipped,
standardised viewing conditions otherwise you're wasting a lot of your
money.

Bear in mind that you can't actually calibrate an LCD. That is, you
can't really change the screen settings to match a standard. Instead
you have to profile it, which means you record the settings it has and
your software maps your photos onto the screen's profile.

--
Cheers,
 Bob