On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:05:05 +0100, Peter Lacus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Frank,

> you are hereby allowed to modify this picture in any way you like. :-)

I really am not very good at editing the work of others.  Some here on
this list are good at cropping or otherwise re-working any photograph;
 I have enough difficulty doing that stuff with my own work!  <LOL>

> Honestly, I'm really anxious to see (or imagine) your version.

Well, I think that maybe I was being unfair to Cotty with my comment
earlier.  I think that what I should have said is that I would have
chosen between the juxtaposition between beggar-lady and majestic
statues or the juxtaposition between beggar-lady and disinterested
passersby.

There are two reasons for that.  First, physically, it's hard to get
both the statues way above her, and the passersby in the same frame.
Whichever I would have chosen, I think I'd have gone with a wider
lens, to get close to the lady while still allowing the other elements
to be in the frame.  I think that might have had more impact.

Now, you might well say, "but I wanted both the statues and the
passersby in there - that was my vision, or what I was trying to
communicate."  And, that's fair enough.  But my thinking WRT "street
photography" or reportage or whatever one wishes to call it is that
simpler is better.  If one wants to make a point, do it with as few
elements as possible.  There's enough room for interpretation and
mis-communication with very simple scenarios.  I often (but not
always) try to isolate my subject by making them dominate the frame,
or, lately, by narrow dof, or by panning (not applicable here) or
whatever.  But for me the less ambiguity (from a compositional point
of view) the better.  That doesn't mean that there can't be ambiguity
or tension in the subject(s) themselves:  far from it.  Such ambiguity
or tension makes the viewer think, and that's good.

Keep in mind that this is only how I would have done it, or how I
think when I'm doing it.  I only mention this since you asked.  And,
I'm not saying I'm right or "more right" than anyone else.  Far from
it.  <vbg>

cheers,
frank