It depends on a number of things. How close I'm actually getting, how much light there is, what I am photographing, how much wind there is and how may hands I happen to have free at the time.

With a macro lens that does 1:1 and where there is a lot of light but I have to use one hand to stop myself falling into a rockpool I will use single auto focus mode adjust the focus as I frame and then do the fine focus by moving the camera slightly for maximum depth of field. Where there is not enough light I prefocus, get into position, take the picture, then adjust the focus distance to change the object's size in the frame and reposition. This is done normally with a double headed flash on the front of the camera.

For more than 2 times magnification I have some sort of focusing rail and spend a lot of time poking at small animals getting them to walk in the right direction so they end up in focus.

Each situation has it's own set of problems. Marine animals look best in water and tend to try to crawl under the nearest rock. Fungi live in dark damp areas. Insects try to fly away or bite you. Flowers sway in the slightest breeze. Each one has a different way of focusing and framing that works best.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon

Toralf Lund wrote:
I though I might make this one look like another little survey, since they seem to be the fashion around here these days... I was just wondering, in relation to that other post of mine regarding macro lenses, how exactly people here prefer do to the focusing when doing macro work. Notably, who uses autofocus and how well does it work?

- T