Hi Bill,
Considering that you were trying to shoot birds in flight, you seem to have done a reasonably good job of getting them in focus on that second shot, although it would be nice if they were a bit closer. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of camera shake, so your tripod setup must be working. On that first shot with the towers, I would rotate it a bit to straigten the verticals if it were mine. What's most lacking here is really compelling subject matter. I think a trip to Denali is in store for you. First you buy the lens, then you go to Denali. Just ask Ken :-).
Paul