----- Original Message ----- From: "william sawyer"
Subject: RE: A couple of PESOs

Bill,

I've had this lens for about 2 years now, and agree with everything you've
said. I describe it as a long stovepipe, with the mount stuck on one end.
I'm surprised you are able to balance it on a gimbaled head. I use it on a
ballhead and crank it down as tight as I can, plus use my focusing hand to
absorb vibration.  With the thing being so long from the mounting point,
it
creates a pretty big arc for every little movement.

Here is a bit of a detail shot of the mount.
http://users.accesscomm.ca/wrobb/pictures/600mm/IMGP8908.jpg

Nice light, isn't it?

Anyway..

That plate is just over 6 inches long, and I cannot balance the thing if a
camera only is mounted. The istD has to have the battery pack on it, the LX
has to have the winder attached, and since I haven't actually tried it, I
don't know for sure if it will balance or not. I may end up having a load
fabricated that can be attached to the camera's tripod socket to help
counterbalance the thing.
I figure about a pound of steel should do it...

I like your heron picture.

William Robb