From: Jens Bladt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 1:47 AM
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: re: 36mm x 36mm sensor?

Wrong answer.
Sensores don't get bigger and bigger, I believe. They get smaller and
smaller, better, faster, cheaper - and have more MP's - just like everything
else electronic. Today 15,7 X 23,5mm (APS size) seems to be a rather large
sensor. The 8 MP SONY sensor is only 8.8 x 6.6 mm - a 2/3" sensor. The
Olympus E-1 is a 4/3" sensor system (5.7 MP) - using a 15-18mm sensor.
There's many good things to be said about small sensors. Less glass (weight
and cost) is one of them. I guess the next generations of cameras will have
smaller sensors making larger image files. Small sensors are the future, not
ff. FF was an issue as long as many consumers/photographers had very large
amounts of money invested in expensive glass for 35mm film. This segment is
getting smaller every day. No sane company will invest a lot in making new
camera systems for a 35mm sensor. Certainly not Pentax.

Jens Bladt
Arkitekt MAA
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt