This one time, at band camp, "Tom C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To tell the truth, I suspect they have already lost the fight and will
> dwindle into oblivion as a maker of camera gear.  I hope not, but I think
> they're just unable to compete. The more biased and lopsided the market
> becomes, the fewer sales Pentax will make, the less money will be available
> for new product development.

I think you are right that the fight is lost. Pentax have no Pro level digital
offering and the others have filled the market well. Many people see what the
pro's are using and think if they use the same brand they will be ok. All they
can hope for now is to flood the market with P&S optio's and the like to
maintain any presence in the market place.

I will be jumping ship early 2006 but will keep my 6x7 for my own photo's and
perhaps a single Pentax D for a backup. Unless between now and then we see
something significant to put in the xmas stocking (am I the first to mention
xmas?)
like a 645D with a good size sensor. For the 35mm it would seem Pentax are going
to stay with the APS sensor and this will do fine for 'prosumer' market, but I
fear even this market will be lost if punters have nothing to aspire to.

Kind regards
Kevin