On Mar 24, 2006, at 5:52 PM, William Robb wrote:

They also have to pay mortgages, car loans, buy food, power, water and natural gas for heat, and if they have kids, then all the expenses of raising children.
And probably a few other expenses as well.
I don't know any professional photographers whom I would classify as really well off, and none who can afford to completely junk a camera system and buy into another one.

If someone is a professional photographer dependent upon their equipment for a living, and can't make a reasonable living at it, then perhaps they're not in the right business.

Your implication that you buy your equipment based on what you want at the moment implies a general willingness to do exactly the opposite.

I didn't say that. I said "When it comes to equipment, I live in the present tense. I buy *what does the job I want now*... not what might someday in the future, or what did some day in the past."

Big difference between that and saying "I just buy what I want at the moment". Something about getting 'what does the job now' is an important part of it.

Godfrey