I think that's why lawyers exist... to redraw the legal line with each and every case. :-(

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: copyrights

I guess that's why the courts exist... to redraw the legal line with each and every case. :-)

Tom C.

From: "William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:15:21 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom C"

Makes sense to me.  I'm no lawyer either.

Thinking along these lines though, TV stations routinely shoot footage on street corners, at public events., etc., of persons who have not given explicit signed consent to be photographed. Nor have they given consent for the footage to be aired. That footage is shown on television news. Stepping out on a limb... Somewhat implicit in everything a news organization (at least here in the US) does is the idea that it will attract advertisers and readership/viewership, hence generate income. I don't see the difference in showing a picture on the air vs. on a T-shirt.

News footage is considered editorial use.
The primary intention of the media is to inform the public, not to gather revenues from advertisers, not that one would know it from the crap that gets fobbed off as news nowadays. Even then, the media needs to exercise caution. I recall Time magazine landed in some shite a while back with a cover photo of a black person in a business suit or some such, and a rather disparaging editorial comment pasted over it. They argued editorial comment, the victim of the photograph argued otherwise, and Time lost.

William Robb