it's not just a matter of general ignorance (not meant pejoratively), but of
people's priorities, and the arrogance of the IT industry as a whole, which
seems to delight in inflicting unnecessary complexity and work on people.
This was exemplified for me at work recently. One of the project managers
complained to me that a new spreadsheet they were forced to use
(unnecessarily, in my opinion) was not working properly. I went to see the
team who wrote it, and they basically took the attitude that the project
manager was "blaming the technology" and should learn to use it. This kind
of thing makes my blood boil - the attitude that people should be grateful
for the gifts the dweebs deign to hand down to them. If I was in control of
that team I would immediately send them all on a user-centred design course
and make sure they learn to listen to people's needs, and understand the
context in which their crap software is to be used.

--
Cheers,
 Bob