Hi Bob,

I suspect there will be as many "best practices" as there are
photographers on this list...:-)

Folder structure is the basic element of my solution. All the
RAW-files goes into one folder structure The names of the folders and
the organisation is down to personal taste, of course. I prefer a
simple date-based setup like this:

<RawFiles>
    <year>
        <quarter>
            <date>-keyword   (example: 20060620-gardenShots)
            <date>-keyword
        <quarter>
    ...etc.
The <quarter> structure is a bit arbitrary. I chose to use it because
it fits well with my production volume and the change of seasons where
I live. It also works as a zeitgeber for my secondary backup cycle
(DVD burning).

For developed TIFF files, I have a similar structure, but skip the
<date>-keyword level.

I also have a third structure where I put all images to be published
on the web, but that's not in a state fit to describe to anyone...:-)

When all that is said, I must admit that I avoid using Photoshop for
organising files. Instead, I use ThumbsPlus v7, which is an archiving
software capable of creating previews of raw files and keeping them in
a database for swift access. In addition, I use a dedicated raw file
converter which has a reasonable file browser as well.

If you don't wish to invest in archival software, maybe the freeware
viewer suggested by Mark Roberts a week ago could be something:
http://graunet.dyndns.org/alexwww/rawviewer/rawviewer.php

Jostein