From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Godfrey DiGiorgi
Sent: 11 August 2006 20:26
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: RAW converter discussion

On Aug 11, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Richard Day wrote:

> ... I do like Silkypix
> though, as do many others (there's no accounting for taste is
> there?!). It took me a while to see past the very different interface,
> but I persevered and I feel I was rewarded! When we meet (if/when you
> make it
> across) I will
> run over some of my likes about it and you can shoot me down! ...

I don't see any reason to shoot you down over Silkypix. I did a bit of
testing with it and found it produces good results, but so do several other
RAW converters. In the end, with adequate experience and skill, they all
converge onto very very similar output. I didn't like the user interface and
operation enough that it was not worth my time to become expert at it.

Camera Raw and Photoshop do very well for me, and RAW Developer (Mac OS X
only, unfortunately) is the only other RAW conversion application I've used
that does significantly better at the default settings and has a user
interface that works well for me.

Lightroom in beta 3 seems good but I'm still learning how to get what I want
out of the interface. It isn't an instant win in my book, both for that and
for the fact that I don't understand yet how to accomplish some of the
things I do with CS2+Bridge+CR so easily. It has promise, though.

Regards my travel, it's looking more and more like the sensible thing to do
is to shift the trip to the latter half of September into October. There's
no pressing dates/commitments that I need to hit that warrant dealing with
the currently unstable air travel policies, delays, etc. My air fare can be
rescheduled for any time at no additional charge up to July of next year so
that's not a worry. I'll sit on the plan for another week and make a
decision.

Who know? perhaps I'll get there about the time that we can go to Photokina
together?

Godfrey