On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:38 AM, Richard Day wrote:

> Hi Godders, hi Cotty!

Heya Richard! Welcome to PDMHell! Didn't realize you were lurking
here. :-)

> The new software does actually have some advances over the previous
> issues.
> The new Photo Lab raw converter does have additional features
> hidden in the
> View menu for more options, i.e. lens correction, noise reduction,
> CA and
> vignetting, etc., functionallity seems to lay between the full
> Silkypix and
> the free version.
>
> The converted DNG is uncompressed so has no file size advantage
> over the
> PEF's, however you can re-run the Adobe converter on the Pentax
> made DNG's
> and losslesly compress them to save space.
> What is bizarre is that Pentax browser may be able to convert to
> DNG, but it
> doesn't display them! How daft is that?

This description does not make me feel any better about Pentax'
supplied software. Seems a waste of my time.

I'll stick with Photoshop+Bridge+Camera Raw, or Lightroom, or
Iridient's RAW Developer. I didn't like working with Silkypix very
much based on their evaluation version, and haven't seen that
anything Pentax supplied so far was worth wasting my disk space on.

I've already calibrated ACR to my own preferences so what the heck... ?

Godfrey