You're welcome, happy to help.

I color balance and set tonal curves for my photos to work with white
mattes, which is one of the reasons I use white surrounds with a thin
black/white border trim on my website (http://www.gdgphoto.com). It's
most important that you balance your renderings for the kind of
surround you want to use.

- A black surrounding matte brightens/raises apparent contrast of the
photo. It can make a slightly dull photo look snappier, and
conversely makes contrasty photos more difficult to see.

- A white surround will darken/reduce the apparent contrast. I feel
it gives the most options in adjustment as usually I'm dealing with
too much contrast rather than too little. I can almost always raise
contrast as needed.

- A colored surround is very risky on web pages due to the wide
variation in monitor calibrations and gamut. Colored surrounds can
compete with B&W and color images.

- A light gray (~75%, not 50%) surround is probably the simplest to
work with, and on that 20-30% gray text/border lines are easily read
and look nice. The inverse is also true: a 30-35% gray surround and
70-80% white text/adornments are also easy to work with and easy on
the eyes.

I have a "testview" image file that you can use to see what the
different surrounds and text settings mentioned above do to two
standard photos, one B&W and one color. It is about 300K and is
2000x2000 pixels, which means you can download it and then scroll it
around on your screen to see how the effect of the surround and text
influence the perception of color and B&W images.

   http://homepage.mac.com/godders/testview.jpg

Godfrey