----- Original Message -----
From: "David A. Mann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 2:34 PM
Subject: RE: Slides vs digital

> Rob Brigham writes:

        <non sequiter snipped>

>  Most of the population use a plastic point & shoot which they
use for nothing
> other than 6x4 prints from K-mart.  They aren't prepared to
spend the money
> on better gear; they have other interests.  You don't need a
huge sensor with
> mega-sharp optics to match that stuff.  All you need is a
minilab with a
> compact flash/USB/memory stick interface so people don't have
to own/use a
> PC to get their pictures.

What is what is going to keep silver imaging around for a long
time to come is that it is relatively cheap. Consumer digital
cameras seem to have bottomed out in my area at around
Can$500.00. If we look at the cost of consumer electronics over
the past 15 years or so, what has happened is that the low end
price has remained fairly stable, but the feature set gets
improvements. Where I am, Video cameras start at $599.00 (1
about 50 bucks), and have done so for 15 years. Same thing with
computers. A basic computer costs a couple of grand, and has
done so for the past decade.
What has happened is that basic has gotten better, the price has
not come down.

So, the question is, how many people who care so little about
the quality of their pictures that they use cheap plastic point
and shoot or disposable cameras are going to invest half a
thousand dollars on a digital camera?

My guess is not many. My guess is that they will continue to buy
cheap plastic point and shoots and use film.
William Robb