Bob R. wrote:

> In order for digital to match conventional processes, the dynamic range must
> be increased and then the linear range must be translated to the standard
> "S" curve to give the gradations available to conventional film and print
> material. Think here of a d-max of greater that 6.0 and 32 to 48 meg/colour
> full frame image sensor for a start. It will happen in our life time and, at
> that point, true "art" will be available to the digital photography.

Frankly, I think digital is as good as film right now. Maybe better, at
smaller print sizes, because of all its many advantages. The "standard 'S'
curve" has nothing to do with it; you needn't have that to give the
"gradations" of conventional materials. The flexibility offered by digital
post processing simply _dwarfs_ anything that film is capable of, and that
includes changing the shape of the curve at will, although there are better
and faster ways of controlling both color and dynamic range. While it may be
true that the very slowest, best 35mm film has the equivalent of 6
megapixels of resolution, digital resolution doesn't really resemble film
resolution. You can't make a better 5x7 with a 5-mp camera than you can make
with a 2-mp camera; what you can do is make a print of the exact same
quality as the 5x7 much larger if you have the bigger sensor.

--Mike