> There are only a few adapters for Canon FD series lenses and none
> give full functionality.

Yes, adapters exist, but stop-down metering is not convenient. Plus, there is
either teleconversion and light loss, or loss of infinity focus. So I will buy
some lenses for the DSLR.

> Go for the FA35/2 AL or FA28/2.8 AL. Both are very good lenses and
> not too terribly expensive. They're not f/1.4, but the Pentax DSLRs
> are quite clean in rendering up to ISO 800 and even 1600 in a
> pinch ... much better than film.

The thing is, when it's dark, AF might not work. I do not want to focus
manually in the dark with a slow lens on the K100D's matte screen.

My Canon A1's screen has both the split-image and microprism ring. With the
50/1.4 or 28/2, I have no issues at night. The K100D has a matte screen, so I
would start at a disadvantage. A fast lens would be helpful.

Speaking of fast lenses, the original Sigma 28/1.8 is supposed to be a good
performer, and quite compact (58mm filter, 284g). The updated "Macro" version
is larger and heavier (77mm filter, 500g). Has anyone used the pre-Macro Sigma
28/1.8? "Macro" is not a big deal as I have some achromatic close-up lenses
which work quite well.

> Switching to Manual Focus turns off the focus lockout. As does AF-
> Continuous mode.

Thanks!

> For quality, I much prefer the DA16-45 or FA20-35 over the kit zoom.

Got it. The FA20-35 is pricey and I don't need full-frame coverage. How is the
DA16-45 with architecture? Will I need to fix barrel distortion in
post-processing? Is the 18-55 kit lens good enough in this respect, too?

> Not familiar with the Sunpak 30DX flash unit. But if it's an external
> sensor auto-flash, it will work the same way it does on your A1. Not
> sure why it needs a custom module to work that way, but ...  ???

> Godfrey

When I set the flash for a particular distance, the custom Canon module allows
the flash to change the camera aperture accordingly. This is convenient.

Benjamin