On Oct 13, 2006, at 8:11 PM, Inet Shopper wrote:
>> Sorry guys but you really cant do serious
>> Architechure with any pentax cameras or
>> Lenses because you need full camera movements
>> That only a view camera can provide for architecture.
>> Its amazing what you can do with a view for that.
>> jco

JCO:

This is nonsense. Many many many architectural interior photographs
are made with Hasselblad SWC cameras and other wide-field cameras
that do not have tilts and shifts. I would wager that the majority of
architectural shots sold to magazines are not made with view cameras,
and haven't been for years. Particularly interior work.

This is not to say that cameras with shift and tilt are not
advantageous for architectural work. They are. But unless you are
doing this kind of work as a speciality and need control on that
order, yes, you need a good view camera. But I've had a couple of
commissions done with the Pentax DS and DA14mm lens that is fully
accepted as interior architectural work.

> I thought tilt/shift lenses were designed to perform perspective
> correction? ...

Tilt/shift lenses allow a limited amount of correction for this kind
of work. Unfortunately, most of them are a little too long in focal
length to be particularly useful for architectural work on a 16x24mm
sensor camera. You're better off using a wide field lens with minimal
rectilinear distortion (like the DA14) and using image processing
software to do any keystone corrections required.

> Thanks for the inputs. Most of my picture-taking is done while
> travelling, so a
> zoom is definitely more convenient than a bagful of lenses. As for
> architecture, here are some examples of "architecture" that I
> photograph:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
>
> If the link works, you can see that I don't shoot brick walls ;-)
> so if the
> wavy/barrel distortion is not too obvious, I'm OK. Normally, the
> limiting
> factor is me, not the equipment. And if the final budget dictates
> either the
> 16-45 alone, or the kit 18-55 plus one (used) fast lens, then I'm
> going with
> the latter.

For the kind of travel work I see on this page (some of it quite
nice...), the 16-45 will likely do quite well. The 18-55 would
probably do ok too.

My travel kit this year is a DA21, FA35 and FA77. Compact, light, and
a nice range with good speed. I often include the DA14 as well, but
was a little challenged for space on this trip.

Godfrey