The first AE automation systems were all shutter preferred.  They mostly
seemed to use a trap needle system.  When the shutter was depressed the
aperture needle was trapped at it's current location which limited the
lens stop down lever's travel.  Most of these cameras did not allow TTL
metering in manual mode.  Typical is the Canon AE1 which required that
you read the aperture from the scale in the viewfinder and transfer it
to the lens, (the same is true of the various Konica AR cameras I've
handled,  as well).  Aperture preferred automation required a reliable
electronic shutter, which was one of Pentax's claims to fame, in the ES
and ESII.  These were introduced several years after the first shutter
preferred automation cameras.  Later cameras added both (and therefore
program modes), as the electronically timed shutters were less expensive
and more reliable.

--
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.

                        --Albert Einstein