A scroll of mail from "David A. Mann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri,
7 Sep 2001 08:20:02 +1200
Read it? y
>Dave O'Brien writes:
>
>> Pentax could easily make an F5 killer from the Z-1p if they gave up on
>> small size.  Just upgrade the AF and the fps, and add the interval
>> timer back.
>
> I'm not sure that Pentax would want to go down that path.  BTW that body
>would have to be an absolute dream-camera to pull people off the F5.  I guess
>they could cut development costs by using the 67II chassis.

No, I don't think they would either. My point was that it wouldn't
have taken much extra in the way of features to make a 35mm SLR which
would rule the roost, but they'd have to give up some of the Pentax
philosophy to do so.  It probably would have been a little bigger than
a Z-1p with grip strap.  just look at the size of the N90 with winder
versus the Z-1, two cameras similarly featured.

And no, of course the Nikon/Canon crowd wouldn't have touched it
purely because of the name.  And the Pentax crowd would decry it as
too big.

dave