Well, I switched from OK to very expensive cables from the CD player to my good
old Audiolab amplifier and didn't notice much difference, but from there to the
ProAc loudspeakers the wires does, of course, get more important.  There's a
lot of current passing through them.

As for the audiophile forums I keep away from them.  Mostly because most of
what they discuss is too close to pseudoscience for me, like the green pen. I
haven't bought anything new for ages (except for new base elements for the
loudspeakers) but when I do I'll do as I did before: Just listen carefully.  As
long as you know how the instruments sound for real you know how they should
sound in good productions, so it is easy to compare.

DagT