I'm probably a bit too tired and inebriated to do this, but I'll
rough it out.
I shoot only RAW. I open them in Camera RAW converter. I have CS1 on
my main computer and CS2 on my laptop. I use both. CS2 is only an
advantage for pics where you really need to pinch the curve at RAW
level. After opening, if the shot is close on exposure, I set
temperature and tint. I do this mainly by eye. What pleases me is
correct as far as I'm concerned. If the shot is way off (I never do
that) I'll work on the exposure and brightness before setting
temperature and tint. However, I usually do exposure, shadows and
brightness after setting temperature and tint. However, I will often
In regard to exposure, if the shot is dark, I'll increase exposure
only up to the point where I don't lose any highlights. If the
midtones are still too dark, I'll increase brightness to bring them
up. Finally, I'll adjust the shadow slider. If the histogram is up
against the bottom of the scale, I'll increase shadow level. This may
cause me to readjust brightness. If the shadows have no real blacks
(as indicated by the histogram) I'll pull the slider back. If I see
CA or excessive noise, I'll go to details and lens to correct these.
Finally, I open the image in PhotoShop and sharpen as necessary.
Sometimes I'll adjust further using shadows/highlights.
Paul