On 2/8/07, Boris Liberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Speaking of upgrades.
>
> My home PC is running Win XP SP1. Please don't try to convince me it
> is not good. Now, LR comes and says - I shall run on SP1, but you
> should upgrade to SP2 so that with SP1 you won't get any support from
> my team. Bullshit if you ask me. What on earth makes SP2 so much
> preferable over SP1 for photo editing???

It's all about what it costs Adobe to support end users on multiple
platforms.  If they can develop and test for one OS, they save money.
Believe me, supporting a product on every version of Windows ever
released is a PITA.  I've done it.  It sucks.  While there may be no
technical reason that Lightroom won't work on earlier versions of
Windows, if I were Adobe I'd do things the same way.

When I worked for First Data, I supported literally thousands of users
running anything from Windows 98 to XP.  There were even a few 95
boxes out there running "critical" applications that had been
abandoned by their developers.  So we supported that, too.

Our outside sales force were all issued laptop computers.  The
established sales reps got the newer models.  The newbies got
hand-me-downs.  Quite a few of these were four and five year old
Dell's running W2K with 256MB RAM and 6GB hard disks.  Some of the
newer sales tools were memory hogs.  We quickly found that many of the
older machines just couldn't handle it.  This basically forced a
hardware upgrade for a big chunk of the company.  We couldn't have
been happier.  We went from supporting a few thousand Frankenstein
laptops that had been strung along for years, to supporting mostly
brand new machines all running the same OS.  We were able to reduce
average handle time.  In turn, the dept was able cope with attrition
much better.  We simply didn't replace the first two people to leave
after the upgrade.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com