On 2/21/07 7:41 PM, "Cory Papenfuss", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that in their professional gear, the quality is
> still there.  Of course the prices are higher and the margins are fatter.
> At least if you buy a professional-grade Sony product though, you get what
> you pay for.

Sony is now run by a no-nonsense American CEO who is cut and dry.  If he
deems certain product line having no long term future and not in line with
Sony's strategy, he won't hesitate to cut it out.  He is said to be steering
Sony back to its roots, excellent consumer electronic products and
professional equipment such as pro-video and broadcast equipment etc.  He is
said to be very reluctant on entertainment biz and game machine etc.
One way or the other, I am sure they will reclaim their past glory.  But
until then, things such as Play Station with $200 million loss or DSLR might
be on chopping block.  CFO won't utter the word "retreat" from DSLR unless
it was discussed deep in their board room.  I am startled that CFO even
admitted that their DSLR was targeted by C/N and they were "struggling".
That's not a positive spin, but too honest.
However, I personally wish them to stay in the game as it will keep
everybody else honest and we, users, will eventually benefit.
So much on Sony.... :-).

Ken