----- Original Message -----
From: "marisa mack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 3:32 PM
Subject: 645 or 67?

Once again, I feel like a voice in the wilderness.
For the record, I have owned a 645 (Bronica ETRs) and presently
own a Pentax 6x7.
For the record, I hate the 645 format, for a variety of reasons,
most of which relate to printing the negatives. The film
transport in a 645 is from bottom to top (or vice versa, it
doesn't matter). This means that the negative sits vertically in
the enlarger. Great if you shoot portraits, not so good if you
shoot landscapes.
I shoot landscapes.
The 6x7 is extremely 35mm like, although it is about 4 times
larger. It operates in much the same fashion as a 35mm camera. I
am not sure about the new 67II. I have never seen one. Perhaps
it works like a more modern camera.
I like the Pentax 6x7 a lot. I have the 45, 75, 90LS, 105, and
135 macro for it, and have used the 165 and 200mm (old). I also
have, and would recommend the extension tubes and hand grip.
Especially the hand grip. It is worth the cameras weight in
gold. The 45mm is extremely good, the 75 is not so good, the 90,
105, 135 and 165 are excellent, and the 200 is not so good.
The nice thing is, because of the smaller magnifications, a less
than excellent lens can still give excellent results.
I have successfully done handheld photos with the 6x7 at speeds
as low as 1/30th with the 105mm lens. The weight of the camera
helps, as at around 3 kilos with the meter prism, it has a lot
of inertia. A tripod is recommended whenever possible, and not
some wimpy little thing. You need a good, solid tripod.
It is heavy to hump around, but the results are worth the
effort.
If you are planning on using the camera commercially for
weddings and the like, the 6x7 is wasted on that sort of work,
go for the 645. If you are planning on doing landscape
photography mostly, the 6x7 is better.
If you are planning on shooting street with a medium format, The
Plaubel 6x7 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/plaubel.htm for a
review) can't be beat. The 80mm lens, is a really nice street
focal length in the 6x7 format.
FWIW, I shoot 4x5 as well, but I find that often, I can shoot
6x7 and get the same quality on the print. I can't do that with
645.
William Robb

> Hi all :) I'm new to the list, and have plans to move into
medium
> format in the extremely (next couple weeks) near future. I'd
like
> to stick with Pentax, though I'm a little confused about the
> differences between the 645 and the 67, and am not sure where
> turn to find out which would work better for me. I'd like for
the
> camera that I get to operate as close to 35mm as possible, for
> comfort and convenience reasons (carting it around downtown,
etc.)
> I currently have absolutely no automatic functionality, though
> I'd be interested in using it if it were available (primarily
> autofocus, possibly flash on rare occasions) but this is not
at
> all a requirement. I've been using the same K1000 for the last
8
> years, so that's what I'm used to. Cost is an issue, so I'll
be
> purchasing used... this brings in the 6x7 as well. I'm feeling
> a little bit overwhelmed and would love to understand why
those
> that have the 67 chose it over the 645 and vice-versa, unless
> it's purely a preference with regard to negative size, ack!
> Please help, I'm sorry that I can't give more info, I'm just
not
> exactly sure what questions to ask even, this is how
uninformed
> I am.
>
> Regards,
> Marisa
>
> PS. I love this list so far (again, I'm new) I think it's
great
> that the "subversives" have their own forum, almost like a
> secret society. (mind you, I have no problem with Hasselblad
or
> Contax or Leica, it's just that I don't make 6 figures, heh)
> -
> This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To
unsubscribe,