Paul,

I have been using the S20 for more than a year, and
one of the biggest problems that I see is the
unability to scan several mounted slides at the same
time (like stripes of negatives).

About colors, I noticed that when scanning negatives,
people faces (and skin in general) came up too red.
This is not as much noticeable in slides.
Dust is also an issue, but I don't know if other
scanners have the same problem.
Recently it seems that there is a lack of focus in my
unit when scanning slides. This is documented in HP
support web pages and I am going to try the (simple)
proposed solution.

I tried vuescan once, but I find it little
userfriendly and I wasn't patient enough to
investigate further. I have herd only good things
about it though.

Anyway, i think it is worth for the money (specially
what you paid :-) ), although I am beggining to
consider upgrading it.

Jaume
(BTW: All my PUG submissions have been made using this
scanner)

http://phone.yahoo.com