Hi Ed,

This is correct.  The winder ME-II allows manual advance with the winder
either turned on or off - IOW, you can override the winder.  Film is
manually rewound in any case. At least that's how it works with the ME
Super, and I suspect it would be no different for any other body to
which it's attached.

The winder on the MX works a little differently.  With the winder set to
single frame advance, keeping the advance button pressed after an
exposure delays the wind on feature.  Only when the button is released
will the film advance.  In addition, the camera can be operated
manually, just as the winder ME-II.

I've not toyed with the LX winder, but I do know that with the winder
turned off the film can be manually advanced.

I think Bob's question related to cameras with built-in winders.  Those
cameras, AFAIK, don't offer the option to delay advancing the film.

Ed wrote:

> If I recall correctly, with my old Super Program and Winder ME-II, you
> could just use the shutter release on the camera and do it all manually,
> or use the shutter release on the winder and let the automation work for
> you.

Bob Walkden mused:

--
Shel Belinkoff