On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, William Robb wrote:

> Chris, I have posted several times about the 90mmLS (of which I
> own a very nice sample.
> What do you need to know (I missed yer original post) about it
> or the 6x7?

Here's my first letter:

Woo hoo!  I managed to snag a Pentax 6x7 (w/ MLU) at a local flea market
for a very reasonable price.  It came with the AE prism finder, the
folding waist-level finder, the 150/2.8, the 80/2.8 leaf shutter, and a
grip for the flash.  I bought it with the intention of reselling it, but
the more I play with it the more I want to keep it.  :)  I do have a few
questions, though.  Or, if there's a detailed site somewhere online
devoted to explaining the nuances of the 6x7, I'd love a link to
it.  Thanks!

How on earth do I work the leaf shutter lens?  No matter what I do I can't
get the lens to use the leaf shutter speeds... it's always the body speed
that the camera uses.  Can I use the body's speed without damaging the
shutter?  Why does the leaf shutter sometimes fire and sometimes
not?  When do I need to cock it?  Help!  :)

What is the sliding S/U switch on the leaf shutter lens?  What does it do?

Is the Auto/Manual sliding switch on the 90/2.8 supposed to be
spring-loaded?  Mine stays on Auto by default; I cna slide it to the
Manual setting, but it springs back to Auto when I let it go.  Is it
supposed to do this, or is mine broken?

For a big camera it seems very well balanced.  I carried it over my
shoulder for a while and never even noticed it.  It's not as heavy as I
expected it to be, but it's definitely got some heft to it.  I've been
wanting to try medium format for a while, and this looks like a fun
introduction.  Now I want the 67 adapter so I can use these lenses on my
tiny little LX and get some *really* funny looks.  *L*

What's the 6x7 like to use?  Any fun or interesting stories out there?

chris