I just did it a couple of months ago!  At least where the neg was still
available, and therein lies the rub.  It seems many people never kept the negs
once they had had enough prints done for everyone at the time.
I keep reminding my wife (when she whinges about how much space my files take
up) that prints are not enough - she is now beginning to realise the truth of
it as the original prints of her kids when young begin to fade or get lost, and
the negs are long gone.

Time to get scanning - only about 6000 negatives and slides to go, and I'll be
up to date - if I stop shooting new stuff!

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia