Hi Mafud:
I'm probably not entirely serious about scanning everything!
However, I do have a collection of negatives and slides which I have been asked
to give to a web-based institute, as they are an almost unique record of a
particular place taken between 1967-69, and they number several hundreds of
each.  In this case, it's not really my right to exclude anything except the
technically bad, I think.

I will keep the negatives - my feeling is that eventually (and I'm not putting
a time frame on this) it will be quite hard to get cheap wet-printing done
commercially, but until then I'll maintain both, gradually building the scanned
copies up.  The process should be one which easily identifies those which are
really worth keeping and those which can be binned.  Incidentally, I did go
through the hard task of weeding out the really bad stuff a couple of times
already!

As to whether I would choose to print from the scan or the negative: all
depends on the quality I can achieve from computer technology vs traditional,
modified for the potential use.  I have had one perfectly satisfactory set
published in a technical journal, which incidentally were (see another thread)
desaturated colour scanned from an original 35mm slide at 1600dpi on a flatbed
- pushing the technology a bit, I think!

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia