----- Original Message -----
From: "George Sinos"
Subject: Re: Paid For

> These comparisons are fun.  When I bought my first digital camera I
> built a spread sheet that calculated my total cost per shot for both
> film and digital.
>
> More or less the same thing, just expressed differently.
>
> Cost per shot on digital continues to decrease with time.  Cost per
> shot on film levels off and remains relatively constant.  If you keep
> your equipment long enough, digital cost per shot is lower.
>
> By the way, I didn't include the cost of my computer or photoshop.  I
> use it for both digital and film.
>
> When computing the cost of film I didn't include the cost of the
> plumbing in my darkroom.  It came with the house.

I'm pretty sure I would still be on my second computer (I'm up to #5 now),
had it not been for digital photography and it's ever increasing vacuuming
up of resources, so for me I can add around 7K for that, plus another 2K for
a laptop for onsite use.
However, I like toys, so I don't begrudge that, but I seem to be spending a
lot more time in front of my computer working on digital imaging than I
spent in the darkroom producing silver prints, and am producing fewer
pictures of lower quality than I did when I was shooting medium and large
format film.
The tendency to shoot more has some drawbacks. When I was shooting film, I
might have shot 10 rolls of 120 film on a portrait session, now I'll shoot
4-6 times that amount of digital frames, and have to sort through that many
pictures, at 4-6x more time.
My keeper % was way higher with film, approaching 100% with 4x5, 20-25% with
120 film. I'm finding my keeper % with digital is around 5%, and I'm having
to fish through a lot of images to find them.

William Robb