William Robb wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I would still be on my second computer [...]  had it
> not been for digital photography and it's ever increasing vacuuming
> up of resources [...]

Not an issue for me.  I had to increase my storage considerably when I
started digitizing my film photos.  I also had to buy a film scanner.
With a DSLR, the storage costs are way lower, since it's a 6/10 MP RAW
(~12 to 15 MB) instead of a 24 MP 16-bit TIFF (~120 MB).  Shooting more
is almost consuming that difference, though, since I keep more "master"
images than I did with film.  And I don't need the film scanner with the
DSLR.

> The tendency to shoot more has some drawbacks [...]
> My keeper % was way higher with film, [...]

Yep, and mine, too.  But now I'm (finally) experimenting more, as I
mentioned in the original post that started this thread.  Yes, it does
take more time to "weed them out".  However, I'm learning things quicker
just by dint of practicing them more.  I'm getting keepers of things I
wouldn't have shot on film due to incremental costs.  I'm getting more
keepers of stuff you can't predict and just sort of have to "machine
gun".  So, /for me/, the swap works out reasonably well, though I'm
going to have to manage my "trigger finger" better in the future.  Or
hire staff to help with the "cull and postprocess" phase.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)