William Robb wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I would still be on my second computer (I'm up to #5 now),
> had it not been for digital photography and it's ever increasing vacuuming
> up of resources, so for me I can add around 7K for that, plus another 2K for
> a laptop for onsite use.
> However, I like toys, so I don't begrudge that, but I seem to be spending a
> lot more time in front of my computer working on digital imaging than I
> spent in the darkroom producing silver prints, and am producing fewer
> pictures of lower quality than I did when I was shooting medium and large
> format film.
> The tendency to shoot more has some drawbacks. When I was shooting film, I
> might have shot 10 rolls of 120 film on a portrait session, now I'll shoot
> 4-6 times that amount of digital frames, and have to sort through that many
> pictures, at 4-6x more time.
> My keeper % was way higher with film, approaching 100% with 4x5, 20-25% with
> 120 film. I'm finding my keeper % with digital is around 5%, and I'm having
> to fish through a lot of images to find them.
>
> William Robb

Ironically, it's film that has been driving my computer upgrades lately.
Digital requires much less storage, RAM or processing power than manipulating
high-res scans. My MF scans are easily in the 150MB range, and even 35mm is
~60MB. That's a big difference from 10-20MB RAWs.

LF is even worse. Opening a single 4x5 scan brings my system to its knees. I
actually have to downsize it to save a JPEG, otherwise PS runs out of RAM on a
2GB system. And I'm only scanning at 1200dpi (Scanning Fuji pack film prints).

-Adam