It does make me wonder when I hear now about "physically impossible"
products like APS sensors with low noise, etc.   I hear too many of
these definitive engineering proof arguments that turned out to be dead
wrong.

>>> graywolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/5/2007 9:13 AM >>>
Things change.

I can remember when all a photojournalist needed was a couple of Leica
bodies
and 3 lenses (35,50,90). Before my time he could get by with a couple
of
Rolleifexs; and before that all he needed was a Speed Graphic with one
lens.

There was quite a bit of argument about what resolution was equal to
35mm film.
I (and Kodak) always said 14 megapixels. The fact is that for most
publication
work about 5mp seems to be all that is really needed.

Kind of to put things in perspective, how many remember when they were
saying
that memory density was about as high as it could go? That was back in
the days
of 64mb memory modules. These days you can get a 4gb flash card about
the size
of your thumbnail.

As I said, things change.

Graywolf
Website: http://www.graywolfphoto.com
Blog:    http://www.graywolfphoto.com/journal/

Steve Desjardins wrote:
> Funny.  I remember about 6 years ago when people claimed that we
would
> need 24 MP to equal 35 mm film.  If anyone had actually described
> today's situation at that time few would have believed them.
Besides, I
> could never affros that Canon.  Or better, I could never justify
paying
> that much.
>
> Steven Desjardins
> Department of Chemistry
> Washington and Lee University
> Lexington, VA 24450
> (540) 458-8873
> FAX: (540) 458-8878
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I dunno about that. The 1DsmIII is pushing the limits of what 35mm
> glass is capable of. While a ~22MP 645D wouldn't necessarily compete
> well (Although the Mamiya ZD back is selling every unit Mamiya can
> push out, at a similar cost to the 1DsmIII) a higher-rez unit might
> well be competetive, and there's a lot more resolution headroom with
> good MF glass.
>
> -Adam
>
> On 12/4/07, P. J. Alling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> An interesting user review of the new Canon 1Ds MkIII, which
confirms
> my
>> feeling that the 645D was swimming upstream without the spawning
>> possibilities...
>>
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/mada-iiis.shtml
>>
>> I would consider this very bad news for an eventual 645D if it were
> ever
>> introduced.
>>
>> --
>> The difference between individual intelligence and group
intelligence
> is the difference between Harvard University and the Harvard
University
> football team.
>>         -- P. J. O'Roarke
>>

>> --