Area is only meaningful to advertising copy writers.

Presuming you are happy with a 3:4 image 645 is 1.75x the size of 35mm, if you
want 2:3 it is 1.55x. So a full 645 format will allow about 1-1/2 times the
resolution of a full frame 35mm. That is assuming a 42mm x 56mm format and the
same ppi for both.

But looking at it another way you can have bigger pixels, so at the same
resolution for both you can have 2+ times the sensitivity.

In either case the larger sensor is going to be about 4 times as expensive.

There are always trade offs involved.

Graywolf
Website: http://www.graywolfphoto.com
Blog:    http://www.graywolfphoto.com/journal/