Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
> Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> What do you mean by "offline media"?
>
> External hard drives, DVD etc.
>
> I simply can't keep everything from 25+ years on the built-in drives of
> my computer. So, some of it has to be stored externally and I need my
> asset management software to keep track of that, too.
>
> Software like IView Media Pro 'knows' which volumes I've stored them on.

Understood. And I agree completely. That was my complaint with Lightroom
in the past. Being able to store only on a local drive is fine for a
single person (in most cases), but any shop with more than 3
photographers is going to want to keep everything on a network drive(s)
where multiple people can access them. I know wedding photo operations
that work this way.

I have my archives on a network drive so I can access them from my
desktop computer or from my laptop anywhere in the house. It's
frustrating that Lightroom won't let me work on them.