Mm I dunno how Lightroom works (or not) with networked drive but I
know that up to a couple days ago my collection was stored on a
external drive connected by USB to my laptop.
If the drive wasn't connected (e.g. when I'm teaching at school)
simply Lightroom will not simply not be able to load the image full
screen and will display the thumbnail it has made (depending on your
Lightroom settings).

I never ever had problems doing metadata or collection search in
catalog with the disk not connected. This isn't a problem.
Now, can I suppress a file from disk (disk being not connected) and
will the effective delete happen when I'll launch Lightroom with disk
connected later? I dunno, I suppose Godfrey knows.

--
Thibault Massart aka Thibouille