----- Original Message -----
From: "mike wilson"
Subject: OT Computer help

> Hate to be a pest but......
>
> New machine is up and running (eventually: the "reset" button was stuck
> in, so it took me two days to work out why there was no "POST") and I
> have, somewhat against my better judgement, installed XP Pro.  I am
> beginning to realise why so many people liken it to tinnitus or toothache.
>
> So:
> 1. How do you get "Explorer" (not IE) to open with the "folder" pane active?

Not quite certain what you mean by this. Dig around in the View tab of Folder
Options and see if
you can suss it out.

> 2. How do you stop the irritating messages ("Your computer may be in
> danger!" [of being thrown out of the house] "Wireless network is
> connected.  Signal strength - very good" "Click on the balloon to make
> it go away") from appearing?

You pretty much have to go through the security center and turn stuff off. It
would help if you
could be a little more specific about the alarms. The computer may be at risk
warnings generally
relate to the firewall or antivirus protocols. If you have the firewall turned
off, then you
need to go into security and tell the computer you have a firewall solution. If
you have no
antivirus installed, you need to go to the security section and tell it that
you have a
solution.
The easiest way to make the wireless thing go away is to use a wired network
and disable the
wireless network connection in Network Connections. There may be other methods,
but I don't have
my machine on a wireless network, and so haven't had to do more than turn off
wireless.

Win XP Pro is a good OS, presuming you don't want to get caught up in the Cult
of Mac, and want
to use a computer without having to be a pocket protector wearing geek.
Unfortunately, the security stuff is in place because we don't hang script
kiddies by their
entrails after killing any children they may have procreated to make sure they
don't pass on
their genes to future generations.
If you really want to be babysat, try Vista.......

William Robb