----- Original Message -----
From: "mike wilson" <
Subject: Re: OT Computer help

>>>1. How do you get "Explorer" (not IE) to open with the "folder" pane active?
>>>

>>Not quite certain what you mean by this. Dig around in the View tab of Folder
>>Options and see
>>if
>>you can suss it out.
>>

> If you press the "folders" button in the button bar at the top (this is
> the computer explorer - used to be called "file manager") you will gat a
> sidepane opening that shows you all the folder hierarchy for that
> machine and any network it is connected to.  I want that there when I
> open Explorer, not having to press another button every time I open the app.

Gotcha. I think if you switch to "Classic View" that will happen automatically,
and it gets rid
og a lot of the goofy eye candy that the XP view is loaded down with.
Try "Use Windows classic folders" in the General tab of Folder Options

>>>2. How do you stop the irritating messages ("Your computer may be in
>>>danger!" [of being thrown out of the house] "Wireless network is
>>>connected.  Signal strength - very good" "Click on the balloon to make
>>>it go away") from appearing?
>>>

>>You pretty much have to go through the security center and turn stuff off. It
>>would help if
>>you
>>could be a little more specific about the alarms. The computer may be at risk
>>warnings
>>generally
>>relate to the firewall or antivirus protocols. If you have the firewall
>>turned off, then you
>>need to go into security and tell the computer you have a firewall solution.
>>If you have no
>>antivirus installed, you need to go to the security section and tell it that
>>you have a
>>solution.
>>The easiest way to make the wireless thing go away is to use a wired network
>>and disable the
>>wireless network connection in Network Connections. There may be other
>>methods, but I don't
>>have
>>my machine on a wireless network, and so haven't had to do more than turn off
>>wireless.
>>

> It's all turned off and other things are taking care of the potential
> problems.  Better things, that I can specify to do exactly what I want.
> But, like a child removed from its lollypop, the OS keeps wailing away
> in the background.
>
>>Win XP Pro is a good OS, presuming you don't want to get caught up in the
>>Cult of Mac, and
>>want
>>to use a computer without having to be a pocket protector wearing geek.
>>Unfortunately, the security stuff is in place because we don't hang script
>>kiddies by their
>>entrails after killing any children they may have procreated to make sure
>>they don't pass on
>>their genes to future generations.
>>If you really want to be babysat, try Vista.......
>>

> Looks like I am a pocket protecter sort of guy.  There is no hope for
> me, as I always suspected.  There is even less hope for dorks who know
> that hiding behind a router is at least as good as any security software
> but can't enable their product to realise that situation and turn its
> whinging off.

Hmmmm, I'm on XP Pro, and get no whinging from the OS about anything. Sometimes
you need to tell
it to mind itself, but this is often a one shot deal where you click a radio
button in the
warning to not tell you about this (whatever it is) again.
I'm in Classic View, firewall is off, I look after the antivirus stuff, and
I've told Windows
that I am looking after things in the security section.
If you are running on wireless, you may have to tolerate the messages about the
wireless
network, if you are connected to your router with a wire, turn off the wireless
adaptor and it
should stop telling you about that, as well.

Once you get the thing set up to suit you, take advantage of the Files and
Settings Transfer
Wizard to embed your settings onto a CD or other storage device (I use a slow
flash card from an
old digital camera). This way, if you ever need to reload your OS, you can run
the Settings
Wizard and the machine will set itself up the way you like.

William Robb