William Robb wrote:

> [...]

If you press the "folders" button in the button bar at the top (this is
the computer explorer - used to be called "file manager") you will gat a
sidepane opening that shows you all the folder hierarchy for that
machine and any network it is connected to.  I want that there when I
open Explorer, not having to press another button every time I open the app.

>>2. How do you stop the irritating messages ("Your computer may be in
>>danger!" [of being thrown out of the house] "Wireless network is
>>connected.  Signal strength - very good" "Click on the balloon to make
>>it go away") from appearing?
>>

>You pretty much have to go through the security center and turn stuff off. It
>would help if you
>could be a little more specific about the alarms. The computer may be at risk
>warnings generally
>relate to the firewall or antivirus protocols. If you have the firewall turned
>off, then you
>need to go into security and tell the computer you have a firewall solution.
>If you have no
>antivirus installed, you need to go to the security section and tell it that
>you have a
>solution.
>The easiest way to make the wireless thing go away is to use a wired network
>and disable the
>wireless network connection in Network Connections. There may be other
>methods, but I don't have
>my machine on a wireless network, and so haven't had to do more than turn off
>wireless.

It's all turned off and other things are taking care of the potential
problems.  Better things, that I can specify to do exactly what I want.
But, like a child removed from its lollypop, the OS keeps wailing away
in the background.

>Win XP Pro is a good OS, presuming you don't want to get caught up in the Cult
>of Mac, and want
>to use a computer without having to be a pocket protector wearing geek.
>Unfortunately, the security stuff is in place because we don't hang script
>kiddies by their
>entrails after killing any children they may have procreated to make sure they
>don't pass on
>their genes to future generations.
>If you really want to be babysat, try Vista.......

Looks like I am a pocket protecter sort of guy.  There is no hope for
me, as I always suspected.  There is even less hope for dorks who know
that hiding behind a router is at least as good as any security software
but can't enable their product to realise that situation and turn its
whinging off.