----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: flash stuff
Outdoors, the distances are
> pre-measured, just as any artist measures and stretches their canvas.

    Hmm... I wouldn't bother with 35mm in that case, which almost always
means manual flash... BTW, I hate shooting strobe pictures with 35mm.
Especially if its a paying gig. Give me my "Polameter" any day!:-)

> While "automatic" or TTL flash merely light the subject so the photo can
be
> taken, the proper use of manual flash can and does "paint"** the subject,
not
> just "light" them.
> **TTL and automatic flash blasts the subject, while strategically placed
> manual flash wraps light ~around~ the subject.

    Just out of curiosity, why couldn't someone do that with TTL flash?
Wireless flash systems are pretty common, and some of them will even allow
"ratio" shooting as well. With high quality systems like Quantum's Qflash,
one could set up a multi light  TTL flash system using whatever ratio one
could want. Between flash exposure compensation and placement you could have
all the "wrapping" you could desire... Someone who knows their equipment
will be able to get the shot, one way or the other...

Isaac