On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 02:09  PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 12/3/01 12:09:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> writes:
>

>> It is considerably quicker and more accurate than using the tape
>> measure and math method.
>>
>> -Aaron
>>
> Yes, but "tape measuring" is done ~before~ you shoot the subject,
> especially
> since ~you~ determine the time of day and where the subject will sit.
> In a
> studio, the distances are fairly well known. Outdoors, the distances are
> pre-measured, just as any artist measures and stretches their canvas.

Are we not talking about your specific example, where one must go at the
last minute to shoot a function with no TTL and a busted thyristor on
your 283?  Or has this been expanded to the general case?

> While "automatic" or TTL flash merely light the subject so the photo
> can be
> taken, the proper use of manual flash can and does "paint"** the
> subject, not
> just "light" them.

I agree, if the flash is just put on the camera and left on full TTL
auto.  In the quote above, I was referring to using a flash meter as
opposed to using a tape measure and math.  I still maintain that the
flash meter is the quickest, easiest and most accurate in the situation
you previously described.

-Aaron