too many buttons?  most critics say just the opposite!  Apart from focus
point select it is hard to see how it could have less, unless you drop
exposure compensation and bracketing.  You could always tape over the
exp comp dial and you would be left with AF/MF, shutter speed, Drive
mode and meter type - oh and DOF.  How is this too many?

Fair enough you didnt like it, but it doesnt really have much more than
MZ-3 to look at (everything extra is hidden except mult exposure mode
perhaps...).