Alan C. wrote:

> The MZ-S was good enough for me, if and only if, it had a higher
> magnification viewfinder. Okay, Pentax did choose to produce the multicoated
> glass eyepiece again (what I have been waiting for), but then they took away
> another important element.

Alan,
I agree. The most important feature of a small camera to me is the
viewfinder. It is an unfortunate reality in today's market that only large,
heavy, expensive cameras have large, bright, full-coverage or
near-full-coverage viewfinders. Small cameras have small, low-coverage
viewfinders in which the optical image seldom "snaps" enough to enable
comfortable manual focusing.

The one exception that I know of is the Contax Aria, which is a small,
mid-priced manual-focus camera with motor wind and rewind and autoload. It
has a finder like they used to have in the old days: large, beautifully
bright, and made of real ground glass so you can actually use it to focus
with. One of my favorite cameras on the current market, although I don't own
one. I wrote a full review of the Aria for _Photo Techniques_, but I don't
remember when it appeared.

The Aria also has one really nice and, I think, unique feature: on a
1/3rd-stop scale in the viewfinder, it shows you the difference between the
multi-segment metered value and what center-weighted metering would have
given you. So you always know what the fancy metering algorithms are
actually doing.

--Mike