Funny you should mention google.

AFAIK Picasa will display AND edit all RAW formats(8bits and jpeg output
only).  It can be slow to display new images as it needs to import them into
its database, but subsequent viewings are very fast.  It's handy to do a
quick raw conversion for upload directly to a Picasa Web Album, if you have
a free account (look in "more / even more / Picasa"  on google's home page).
These shots were uploaded straight off the raw files without ever saving
them in another form:
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/FarrAnthony/PESO02#5219740805868316434
or
http://tinyurl.com/4ullbe
and
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/FarrAnthony/PESO02#5219734398432795650
or
http://tinyurl.com/4kq478

Irfanview will do the same and can output any format (in 8bit) with a very
small footprint on your computer, and fairly fast first time loading.  Then
again, every time is first time with Irfanview as it doesn't create a
database or even a "thumbs" file as Explorer does.  Its editing functions
are rather clunky.

Raw Therapee is a free raw converter that is quite comprehensive.

I tried FastStone but its colour and tonal editing tools didn't suit me,
however that's a personal preference.

There's a plugin for Windows to display many RAW formats directly in
Explorer's "thumbnail view".  It's made by Arcsoft and I got it through
Window's updates.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle every RAW format,
mine will display Fuji .RAF files, but not Olympus .ORF files.  I don't know
if it displays .PEF files

Regards, Anthony