From: John Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Even a stamp should portray visual fact. Visual reality.
> "Correcting" history should be permanently buried in the past. The > Russians, the Germans, whoever else perpetrated this unconscionable > editing to change reality of what was, were wrong.
>
> Almost literally everyone who sees this stamp says, "Where's her cigarette?"
> Suckin' on a smoke is Bette Davis!

Quite.  It's not just that they edited the cigarette out of the photograph
(although even that would be pretty bad) - it's also that the photograph
is so well known that most people who recognise the subject also spot the
fact that the cigarette has been removed.

Tempest in a teapot.

Actually read the article, and you might see 'The PORTRAIT by Michael Deas was inspired by a still photo from "All About Eve."' [emphasis added]

It's a painting, not a photograph. The "photo" itself has not been edited.

In fact, I don't think there IS *A* photo. Looking through all the Bette Davis images Google brings up I didn't find one that I could say for sure is THE ONE.

What I did see is the face appears to be based on one "All About Eve" photo, one in which she isn't smoking BTW; her hands are not even visible.

The hair appears to be from a publicity still for "Watch on the Rhine" and the fur coat is from "Deception".

There is a photo of her holding a cigarette where the glove is similar to the one in the painting, her hands & face are in a completely different position.

Then there are all those other photos where she doesn't appear to be holding a cigarette.

Seems to me, y'all are guilty of the same kind of political correctness you accuse the government of.