> Occam's  Razor be damned, the painter, like any other artist, has the
> right to paint however he or she sees fit, interpreting an original
> literally and exactly or not.

I can't agree more, that it's the artist's privilege.  It's his medium after
all.

My lingering doubt arises because, if the "Bette Davis Speaks" version of
the picture is the true depiction with no smoke, then why on earth would the
stamp artist depict, from his creative mind, a hand that looks to be holding
a deleted cigarette?  Why create conspiracy where it doesn't exist?  Occam's
Razor needs an answer.

My belief, in case you missed it, is that the biography picture was
radically altered by the book publisher or Davis's agency.  I also believe
that the stamp follows the earliest version of the picture that can't be
found on the web, but which the artist had a copy of.

BTW, Bette Davis also wore a fur coat which was changed into some generic
fuzzy fabric, I suppose to appease PETA.

It's just a painting.  It's also the image the Postal Service wants to
present.

It doesn't matter too much to me.  It's interesting and I have time to
discuss it.

"We the Sheeple" get lied to all the time, all around the world ;-)

Regards, Anthony