I haven't had any problems reading Excel spreadsheets with OpenOffice Calc. And since it's FREEWARE, it didn't cost anything (other than a few minutes time) to give it a try.

I learned to loathe PowerPoint while I was still in the military, but according to the documentation, the Impress component will handle PowerPoint files ... and Microsoft may still offer the free PowerPoint viewer if you just need to see them, and not edit them.

Apple iWorks don't run on a "Pea Sea" so it's moot.

From: PN Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I need MS office. I get Excel spreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations from clients and colleagues, and I have to be able to see them. All of them. I tried a demo version of Apple iWorks for a while, but it couldn't realistically deal with all MS Office files. And some word.doc files created in iWork couldn't be opened by some PC- based clients. On this one, I'd say, "Nice try Apple, but no cigar." I have no love for Microsoft, but I don't let personal feelings get in the way of good business practices.
Paul
On Oct 24, 2008, at 8:35 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2008, at 4:58 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
>
>> I've downloaded Open Office from OpenOffice.org as an alternative >> to Microsoft Office.
<SNIP>