From: "Bob W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Which is precisely what the Microsoft business model counts on, and
> why they teeter on the brink of being a monopoly every single day.
> (Actually they are, but they have the best 350 corporate lawyers on
> the payroll to steamroller any legal complaints)
> > So few want to swim against the tide. > > Sad. >

Why? The fact is that much of MS's Office software is superb as far as
functionality and ease of use are concerned. Outlook is really well integrated
and versatile and deserves to be where it is. My entire office existence is
based around the Outlook calendar and task list and they work brilliantly for
what they are supposed to do. Having a copy of Office at home, with a Mobile PC
phone, really pulls everything together for me.

Just because MS is a monopoly doesn't seem like an argument for me to use
someone else's software that makes my life harder. Swimming against the tide is
by definition difficult, and Office etc is just work shit. Who needs to make
their life difficult over work shit just to get at Microsoft?

I don't know about the others, but I offered what I think might be a solution that could make life easier, rather than harder - at a lower cost.

And it's a solution that doesn't involve stealing software from Microsoft or any other company, as someone else suggested.

My problem with Microsoft's monopoly is the way they use it to stifle competition, killing off promising alternatives.

I've noticed that a lot of people try to fight the software (not just MS
software but almost anything) instead of spending a couple of hours
understanding a) what mental model underlies it and b) their own process and
mental models so that they can use the software to support that - or use it as a
sound basis for rejecting the software.

One of the things I've noticed about Microsoft's software is they change things just to force incompatibility with competitor's software and their own previous versions. The most vicious thing they do is those damn wizards that won't let me just get on with my work. And they make it too difficult to turn off all the crap.

Believe it or not, I know how to write a letter, and I don't need a dancing paper-clip to show me how. Especially, since Microsoft's idea of how I should format my letter has nothing to do with what I want to do.

The problem with Microsoft's underlying "mental model" is they're IDIOTS; it's mentally defective.

I know what I want to do. Microsoft doesn't. I shouldn't have to fight for control of a word processing program just so I can write what I want to write, formated the way I want it formatted.

I'd be willing to bet you couldn't find a single copy of Stunk & White at Microsoft even if you went in armed with a search warrant.

Ok, rant mode off.