On Nov 10, 2008, at 9:59, ann sanfedele wrote:
Charles Robinson wrote:

On Nov 9, 2008, at 18:26, Walter Hamler wrote:

Yesterday while shooting the air show I was down to 60 odd shots when
the Blue Angels started their performance. I had a second card in my
pocket, but when the show was over I still had images left, but I
don't know how many. I didn't run out and I didn't check the counter.
When I uploaded the images the PSE7 Organizer said I had 247 new
images. Not believing it, I counted and there were indeed 247 images.
As that is about 80 more than it told me I had, is that normal?

Totally normal. If the image is compressible, it's the complexity of the image which dictates just how much it can be crunched down.

It applies to raw files too - but maybe that is obvious . (low techy moi) and CF cards.

Compressed RAW files, yeah. I would wager that if you are saving in a non-compressed format (I don't remember which is which) they would all be the exact same size!

When I shot a concert a couple nights ago (which I do in JPEG), the card stated that I had about 380 images or so to go on my 2gig card when I started. But I ended up putting 897 images on the card, with space for 30-40 more left over. A lot of black space = smaller images.

-Charles

Or a lot of white or any color area that lacks detail, yes? (all other things being equal).

Yes. Agree. Lot of white, lot of sky - anything which is a lot of the same value (and, I'd guess, contiguous - but I don't know that for sure).

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minneapolis, MN